Sunday, June 10, 2012

Biowolf company from Russia - face matching capabilitie?

In case anyone is interested in a review on Biowolf private investigations company from Moscow (www.private-detective-agency.com/ and b-e-o-w-u-l-f.com/) who run a large number of ads on various web sites, here is one such review.

------------


One of my clients hired Biowolf PI to perform a search for a particular person. The client had several pictures of a young lady. He wanted to locate the person on the pictures. He initally contacted my company, but I declined taking the case, because I did not know (and I still do not know) of any method of locating a Russian citizen based on nothing but his or her picture. I warned the client at that time that any other detective agency who agreed to take the case would probably be either exaggerating their abilities or did not understand the assignment. But the client was extremely determined to locate the person on the pictures, so he kept searching for an agency who could help him with his project.

He informed me that a Moscow agency Biowolf agreed to take the case. At that time, I warned him that I was skeptical about Biowolf's ability to complete the assignment, but it was decided that the client would go ahead with Biowolf's offer and hope for the best.

A few weeks later the same client contacted me again asking whether it would be possible to expose Biowolf as a dishonest agency. 

Here is the recap of the story.

Biowolf agency initially gave him a quote of 150$ to locate the Russian citizen depicted on the pictures.  According to Dmitri Leonidovitch Turin, the principle of the agency, his agency had access to the database of Federal Migration Service which contained the passport photos of all Russian citizens, and Dmitri claimed that he planned to use that database to locate a match to the pictures that the client had. According to Dmitri, locating a match was guaranteed. The data that client would receive about the person in the pictures would include everything but the kitchen sink: her criminal and civil conviction, education, marital status, family members, health insurance, employment, current residence, past residences, phone numbers... All for only $150!

The client agreed on one condition -  Biowolf would provide him with additional photos of the person in question. Mr. Turin agreed to that condition. The money was supposed to be sent to Olga Tyurina, a relative of Mr. Turin.

After the cleint submitted the payment, Dmitri said that the search was initiated, and at his personal request someone even optimized the photos to account "for a slight change in age" (that service was apparently included in that catch-all $150 payment). A few days later - the result.... no matches found because the lady in question did not apply for a passport in Russia.

The client was extremely disappointed and sent a couple of messages demanding clarification of the search procedures used. No response from Biowolf. He got just a short message that Dmitri will be out of town for about 2 weeks.The client tried to call the phone number provided - no answer. A month later - no responses to his emails or phone calls.


My impression of this story is this:

I believe that Biowolf took a gamble on this case. Mr. Turin probably planned to locate the lady via the same search that my Online Photos Search service performs (http://www.russian-detective.com/services/photo.htm). If he got lucky and found any leads, he would probably pursue those leads and eventually find the lady in question, or at least get enough info to show the client that he "worked" on the case. But because the Online Phone Search was of no help in this case, he had no plan B to rely upon, and so he just told the client that the girl was not from Russia.

I very strongly doubt his claim of being able to access the database of the Federal Migration Service to view pictures of people who applied for Russian passports. This would this be a gross violation of laws on personal privacy, and the Federal Migration Service personnel would risk not only their jobs but also criminal charges if such information-sharing situation became known. 

I also do not think that the Federal Migration Service has any face-recognition capabilities. I have worked with Russian police in the past 12 months on criminal cases in which the identity of the person on the pictures was unknown, and the Russian police at that time didn't have the means to obtain information about the persons on the picture. If the Federal Migration Service had face-matching capabilities, Russian police was not aware of them.

I conclude that if Russian police handling criminal cases has no face-ID capabilities, neither should Dmitri Turin.


My persnal follow up on the case:

While in Moscow on a business trip in June of 2012, I decided to visit Biowolf agency's office and to speak with Dmitri Turin personally about this case. With that goal in mind, I attempted to visit the office location that Biowolf provided on their web site: 123022, г. Москва, Б. Декабрьская ул., д. 3/9, стр. 1 (123022 Moscow, B. Dekabrskaya St. building 3/9, section 1).

Building #3 on that street turned out to be high-security gated business center with no access to the building except for the  massive-looking locked metal door. I spoke by speakerphone with some invisible security officer inside. He informed me that there was no Biowolf detective agency, or any detective agency, among the tenants of the business center, and that he could not let me in.

I called Dmitry on the phone to see if we could arrange a meeting in person. Dmirty refused to meet to discuss the situation with client's case, claiming that the case was not worth his further attention, and that the client has received everything that he could possibly expect for a meager $150 payment. I asked Dmirty whether I could still meet him in his office, since I traveled all the way to that part of Moscow and was now standing right next to his alleged office building. Dmirty sounded caught off guard and said that he was away from the office at the moment and saw no reason for a meeting anyway. 

Keeping in mind that the security guard told me that Biowolf agency was not among the tenants of the building, I kept pressing Dmitri about an office visit just to see what Dmitri would do. After several such prompts, he said that it would be difficult for me to get into the building because of a need for a security pass, and that his company did not have good accommodations to meet with clients in that building.

As of right now, I cannot say for sure whether or not Dmitri really has an office at the address  at the B. Dekabrskaya St. building 3/9, section 1. I was never granted access to the grounds of that business center. But the security guard stated directly that there were no detective agencies in the business center, and Dmitri refused to allow me to see his company's office.


Disclaimer: At this time I do not claim that Biowolf agency is a scam. But their vague pricing, their claims of many unusual abilities, and their lack of communication with the client once the case took a bad turn are signs of a what I would call "a questionnable agency".


See the correspondence between Biowolf agency and the client below:

From: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>
To: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2012 11:51:34 AM
Subject: Re: Re[34]: Help

You are a liar low life and the scam send my money back or I will going to report you all over the Internet  to let others know about your scam.
--------------------------
From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com>
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 8:12:40 AM
Subject: Re[34]: Help

i am going to be away from office (and Russia) till Apr 4
--------------------------

Sunday, March 25, 2012, 2:38:55 PM, you wrote:
Hi I called you and left you a messgae on your cell phone did you get it and did you see the new pictures?
--------------------------

From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com>
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 12:42:26 PM
Subject: Re[32]: Help
this results is guaranteed; in fact a much broader criteria was applied for this search specifically on my request, the photo was optimized so that allowed a slight change in age. No matches means she had not obtained a passport in RU  over period of last ten years. Actually it was most demanding search as no other details as  town of birth or  last known address was provided. 

--------------------------
Monday, March 19, 2012, 5:44:56 PM, you wrote:
Please to find her and her parents information is very very important to me and you told the result is guarantee so what happened and whats next?
--------------------------

From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com>
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:57:35 AM
Subject: Re[30]: Help
just got the results of the photo check  - no  matches found, it means she had not been issued a passport in the RF Friday, March 16, 2012, 4:53:44 PM, you wrote:
--------------------------

>
Hi I'm still waiting.
--------------------------

From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com>
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 8:45:25 AM
Subject: Re[28]: Help
I have arranged everything for this search, it will cover the passports issued in the Russian Federation . They are not happy with the photo as it takes much more processing compared to regular passport photo. Yet we'll get the list of all matches. Expecting results during this week Monday, March 12, 2012, 4:07:09 PM, you wrote:
--------------------------

>
Hi I'm still waiting, and when you search can you please scan the passport and other information including the picture too thanks.
--------------------------


From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com>
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 8, 2012 10:22:11 AM
Subject: Re: Re[26]: Help
Ok, today is a holiday, a day off in banks so I'll collect it at first chance. And will proceed with the search first thing in the morning 
--------------------------

Subject: Re: Re[26]: Help
From: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>
Date: 08/03/2012 04:07
Hi I did sent the money $150.00 CAN but you will get $146.00 US you should have it by now Typically in 10 mins by Money Gram thanks.
Conformation or Reference Number to pick it up is  ----------
My Name is XXX XXXXXXX as a sender.
Your name as a receiver:  
First name: Dmitry
Middle Name: Leonidovich
Last Name: Tyurin
--------------------------


From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com>
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:46:37 AM
Subject: Re[26]: Help
  
  
that's right
--------------------------

Wednesday, March 7, 2012, 3:07:32 PM, you wrote: 
>  Hi I think when I send the money you can pick it up in any Money Gram location. 
--------------------------


From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com>
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:58:15 AM 
Subject: Re[24]: Help      
For Western Union or  Money Gram please use this spelling of my name (as it is in my Russian passport) : DMITRY LEONIDOVICH TYURIN.  
I'll need the sender's name, town and conformation number to pick it up. 
--------------------------

Wednesday, March 7, 2012, 1:20:36 AM, you wrote: 
>  Hi OK I'm going to use the MoneyGram but I can't do it online I have to go to the MoneyGram agent. You said your name was Turin Dmitri and $150.00 Canadian am I right? When I send you $150.00 Canadian I don't know what the exchange will be, when I send you the money you should have it in 10 minute is that OK. 
  
I send you copy what is required when you want to pick up: 
  
  
You may be required to provide personal identification, usually one or more of the following: passport, driving license, national identity card or a government issued identification. You may also be required to provide proof of address (bank statement or utility bill). Requirements vary by country so please ask your local MoneyGram agent for acceptable identification formats. 
--------------------------


From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com> 
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>  
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:29:55 AM 
Subject: Re[22]: Help      
My name: TURIN DMITRI, 
Beneficiary Bank: UniCredit Bank, Moscow, Russia 
SWIFT or BIC code: IMBKRUMM 
For Canadian Dollars : Beneficiary's Account # or IBAN # : 40817124000012790242. 
Intermediary Bank: THE TORONTO-DOMINION BANK, TORONTO  
SWIFT code: TDOMCATT 
--------------------------

Tuesday, March 6, 2012, 4:24:41 PM, you wrote: 
>  Hi I want to send the money online I think this site is good but they need your first and last name https://secure.atmcash.com/card/send-money.jsp 
--------------------------


From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com> 
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>  
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:40:08 AM 
Subject: Re[20]: Help      
I used to receive payments from Canada by methods given in this correspondence. Most convenient is a bank transfer which can be made from computer at your  bank's Internet banking web site, if you have such an option.  
For MoneyGram or Western Union you may visit one of their agents locations near you 
--------------------------

Monday, March 5, 2012, 9:15:07 PM, you wrote: 
>  Hi it seems www.emoneygram.com  is not for Canadian, I tried to register they need US address I live in Canada did you have anyone that send you money from Canada from that website. And to send money is US dollar Not Canadian they don't even have agent in Canada. 
--------------------------

From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com> 
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>  
Sent: Sunday, March 4, 2012 5:09:49 AM 
Subject: Re[18]: Help      
personal data provided contains  criminal/drug/prostitution /civil code violations records (retrieved from police files), education, family members, marital status, cars registrations, health insurance,  previous and current employment, individual tax payer # and income,  any property registered to her name or her family, current residence and changes of name or address in the past, land line and  cell phone numbers and more when I see  where additional inquiries  should be addressed.  
--------------------------

Saturday, March 3, 2012, 11:50:14 PM, you wrote: 
>  OK I will use www.emoneygram.com the problem is what if you can't fine phone number or parents doesn't phone number or search will not be complete. 
--------------------------

From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com> 
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>  
Sent: Saturday, March 3, 2012 2:26:53 PM 
Subject: Re[16]: Help      
I do not have an account with      PayPal because it would be virtual currency only in this country with no possibility to convert. I need cash to process this      inquiry, it is being done on a paid for basis on my side too, I mean I have to pay to initiate the search. 
--------------------------

Saturday, March 3, 2012, 4:03:14 PM, you wrote: 
>  Hi I know you explained to me but if the results is guaranteed, so why don't you do the job when you have the results  I'm going to send you the money, and paypal does work in Russia when you go to the paypal website go to "send money" you will see you can use it for sending the money. 
  
  
--------------------------

From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com> 
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>  
Sent: Saturday, March 3, 2012 1:25:25 AM 
Subject: Re[14]: Help      
I have explained this already: the results is guaranteed, the search will produce every match  on the photo so that you make sure we found the right person. 

--------------------------


Friday, March 2, 2012, 9:45:16 PM, you wrote: 
>  I asked this many time what if you can't find or there are No information 
--------------------------

From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com> 
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>  
Sent: Friday, March 2, 2012 12:43:45 PM 
Subject: Re[12]: Help      
work is done after payment. You may send it to OLGA    ALEXANDROVNA TYURINA. 

--------------------------

Friday, March 2, 2012, 8:14:53 PM, you wrote: 
>  What if I had send the money to Olga in the first place, you were going to know that. This girl is very very important to me that is why I want to find the parents, so get the information when you have I will sent you the money. I hope you understand if I sent the money first and you can't fine what I want It will cost you money to sent back to me that if you do. 

--------------------------

From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com> 
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>  
Sent: Friday, March 2, 2012 9:50:38 AM 
Subject: Re[10]: Help      
I am not going to move? I am licensed Private Investigator and i run this agency.  Neither Olga is going to move . I did explain that she had changed her work and now it is more difficult for her to go to bank. She never worked for me, she is my relative. For Money Gram please use this spelling of my name (as it is in my Russian passport)  :                    DMITRY   LEONIDOVICH  TYURIN.  

--------------------------


Friday, March 2, 2012, 6:16:10 PM, you wrote: 
>  You work for the company or is yours, I receive E-mail from you at that time not Olga, now you see why I said I want to you get the result first after that I will send you the money, maybe when I send it you will gone too so what will happen you are in Russia and I'm in Canada. I want the result first who knows maybe you don't even find it. To send the money over net it saves time www.emoneygram.com 

--------------------------

From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com> 
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>  
Sent: Friday, March 2, 2012 8:56:09 AM 
Subject: Re[8]: Help      
Olga changed her place of work since then and it's a longer way to nearest Western Union agent.  
Now it is preferably by bank transfer to my account as it saves time: 
My name: TURIN DMITRI, Address (withheld here for privacy reasons) 
Beneficiary Bank:                  UniCredit Bank, Moscow, Russia 
SWIFT or BIC code:                  IMBKRUMM 
For Canadian Dollars : Beneficiary's Account # or                  IBAN # : 40817124000012790242. 
Intermediary Bank: THE TORONTO-DOMINION BANK, TORONTO  
SWIFT code:                  TDOMCATT 

--------------------------

Friday, March 2, 2012, 3:05:11 PM, you wrote: 
>  Hi before you told me to send the money to this account, now is different account which now is it?  
This is how you told me to sent the money before right, identifying a person by photo and personal data on her parents including phone # is 150 dollars 
Sending the payment through MoneyGram ( www.emoneygram.com ) or Western Union  
(www.westernunion.com ) to this name – OLGA ALEXANDROVNA TYURINA, address: (withheld here for privacy reasons) is the fastest. 

--------------------------

From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com> 
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>  
Sent: Friday, March 2, 2012 4:22:28 AM 
Subject: Re[6]: Help      
Yes, that's what I had explained in the previous correspondence and our phone conversation. Work is done after payment 

--------------------------

Friday, March 2, 2012, 7:35:49 AM, you wrote: 
>  Hi did you get her personal data? can I have the copy of her passport and can you find out if she was ever married please let me know thanks. 

--------------------------

From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com> 
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>  
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2012 4:17:22 AM 
Subject: Re[4]: Help      
Hello, 
I have received the photo. So nit will be facial recognition search through the Federal Migration Service (they have bank of data for  all residents  ) engine which allows to check out her passport application photo, and thus we'll get her personal data. That's 150 Canadian dollars. Turnover time - 2 working days after payment. 
Here is my bank account to wire: 
Beneficiary: TURIN DMITRI, Address: (withheld here for privacy protection reasons)                                        
Beneficiary Bank:                                        UniCredit Bank, Moscow, Russia 
SWIFT or BIC code:                                        IMBKRUMM 
For CAD : Beneficiary's Account  # or                                        IBAN # : 40817124000012790242. 
Intermediary Bank: THE TORONTO-DOMINION BANK, TORONTO  
SWIFT code:                                        TDOMCATT 
Best regards,  
Dmitri Turin 
Licensed private investigator  
BEOWULF Detectives Agency Principal  
phone/fax +7 499 9927911  
Mobile +7 905 7449995 
www.private-detective-agency.com 

--------------------------

Sunday, February 26, 2012, 11:56:15 PM, you wrote: 
>  Hi I know you told me you do the search after you get the  payment, I send you her picture just her face so I can be certain that will ok you get the information just from that I need every information you can get as possible if she ever got married her partens name, address and phone number etc...so I call them please let me know thanks. 

--------------------------

From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com> 
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com>  
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2011 11:34:32 AM 
Subject: Re[2]: Help      
this work is done after payment 

--------------------------

Monday, October 17, 2011, 9:51:44 PM, you wrote: 
>  Hi thanks this person is in Canada but her parents are in Russian I think, anyways before we want to go forward with this I want to know if is  person you want to search it's the same because, when I search I get the same name but different pictures on the net. I have her pictures but I want to see if you can prove me with her pictures first and when I see it I will be sure it's her and from there you can search for her parents thank you. Ben 

--------------------------


From: BEOWULF <beowulf@private-detective-agency.com> 
To: XXXX ben <XXXXXX@yahoo.com> 
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 1:30:55 PM 
Subject: Re: Help 
      
Dear Ben, 
Thank you for contacting me on this matter. That's exactly what we do. We use access to official resources to provide fullest knowledge possible. 
To locate a person in Russia basically is 150 dollars which includes comprehensive search on her name to collect related records and verifying data received. 
Forward the details you have so that I give exact quote and recommend efficient approach. 
  
I am looking forward to answering any further questions. 
Best regards,  
Dmitri Turin 
Licensed private investigator  
BEOWULF Detectives Agency Principal  
phone/fax +7 499 9927911  
Mobile +7 905 7449995 
www.private-detective-agency.com 

--------------------------

Monday, October 17, 2011, 8:16:43 PM, you wrote: 
>  Hi I live in Canada and I have the name, address and cell 
phone number that is disconnected about few month now, I 
have the old cell phone number and address, what I want 
is new address and phone number of the this person where 
she move to, and to trace parents names, address and 
phone number of this person too, I believe they are in 
Russia can you trace that for me thanks. Ben      
  
  



No comments:

Post a Comment